Thursday, July 16, 2009

What Should I Wear??

I said in an earlier post that I would discuss modest dress and where the Lord is leading me right now, so I have decided I needed to follow through on that. One definition of Modest is; having or showing regard for the decencies
of behavior, speech, dress, etc. If we look at what society calls "in fashion" do those styles fall within that definition? Some would say yes, however I say no they do not meet that definition. I guess it really comes down to what someone sees as decent. So what does the dictionary define decent as? According the Merriam-Webster dictionary decent is defined as; appropriate, well-formed , handsome, conforming to standards of propriety, good taste, or morality, modestly clothed, free from immodesty or obscenity, fairly good, adequate, satisfactory, marked by moral integrity, kindness, and goodwill. So do you think that showing cleavage is modest? Would you want your 13 year old or younger daughter wearing a top that showed her cleavage? Maybe you should think about this, where your eyes are drawn to when you see a woman wearing a tight low cut top. They are drawn right to the breast, of course. Is that the first thing you want people to notice about you or your young daughter? What about short skirts or even shorts? So short that the just cover the buttocks. Is that decent? Again I ask where is your eyes drawn to? I guess it would depend on it you look at the front or the back of the girl wearing the skirt. If you are looking at the back then your eyes go right to the buttocks, if you are looking at her front your eyes…well you can see where I am going with that. So if that is where your eyes go how is that decent? How is that of moral integrity? We should want to draw attention to who we are, not draw attention to our bodies. You can have the perfect body and still the ugly. I remember a good friend used to tell me "Pretty is as Pretty does", there are no truer words. The nest thing is what God thinks about the way we should dress. In 1 Timothy 2: 9-10 Paul writes; In like manner also, that woman adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefastness, and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness)with good works. There is that word Modest that is how God wants us to dress.

The Bible also tells us,
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are an abomination unto the LORD thy God. Deuteronomy 22:5.
Within the last few months the Lord has been weighing on my heart once again to change the way I dress. I feel the Lord is directing me to wear only skirts and dresses or that of the like. I have tried this once before but never got rid of my jeans or sweats. This time I have gotten rid of most of them. I now only have one pair of sweat pants, and one pair of jeans. I have a variety of skirts and jumpers that I wear daily. This is where the Lord is leading me in my walk with him right now. I feel good about it too. I want attention drawn to my face not any other part of my body. I don't want to encourage a man to have lustful thoughts because of the way I dress. Do you want to cause a man to have lustful thoughts when he looks at you? If so you are creating the possibility for him to sin. According to the Bible lustful thoughts is a sin. Is that something you want to be responsible for? Or would you rather your appearance exhort God and your inner beauty?

1 comment: