Monday, July 13, 2009

Hold Thy Tongue

Why has it become acceptable to use swear everyday or at all for that matter. This morning while I was having coffee and watching Good Morning America, which I always do, I was surprised that they were promoting swearing every now and then. Now I am sure some will say they were not promoting it just doing a segment on it. For those of you who may not have gotten to see it the idea was that swearing increases pain tolerance. There was a study done on a small group of college students. The students had to stick their hands in ice water one group could use curse words while the other could not. The study showed that in the group of students that were allowed to swear they were able to keep their hand in the ice water 40 seconds longer than the one who could not swear. I have to wonder in the group that was not allowed to swear, what did they say what went through their minds. I know from the report they could say things like heck, shoot, darn but could they sing a song, could they pray. I ask this because I know for a fact that there are other ways to deal with pain other than cursing.

    When I went into labor with my daughter I was determined to have a natural birth. I wanted no drugs whatsoever. I figured if God wanted woman to have pain in childbirth then I was going to have pain. Now, I am told that my contractions were triple peaking almost the entire time. Mind you he doctors seemed amazed that I was not screaming in pain. I was rather relaxed through the entire process. I do remember that when I felt a contraction coming I would look at a light at the other end of the room and sing to myself "Jesus Loves Me". I feel that the Lord God was with me during the entire delivery as well as with Amber every time she went into distress with each contraction. Unfortunately I was unable to full fill my desire of having a natural birth. Do to Amber going into distress so much the doctors recommend a C-section. I agreed it was in the best interest of Amber to have the c-section. So, I got the drugs, and Amber arrived that night at 10:51.

    Those of us with young children know how fast they pick up on what we say. If you curse around your child just know that they will do same. My sister has foul mouth and so do her kids. Her oldest daughter swears like a sailor, (pardon the phrase). They really have to mind what they say when we come to visit. Of course they really don't and I worry that Amber will pick it up. But we don't go to visit much so hopefully if she ever does pick up that language from them we can stop it. What do you think God feels every time someone says a curse word or even takes his name in vain? Many people say oh G… just as much as they curse. In Colossians 3:8 it says; "But now you also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." This scripture tells us that the use of curse words is wrong. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary; to use profanely insolent language against: blaspheme <curse God and die — Job 2:9>, it adds to utter imprecations: swear <cursing loudly>. The Merriam-Webster defines swear as; to use profane or obscene language. If what we say is to edify the Lord how using foul language is edifying the Lord. The answer is simple, it's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment