Tuesday, September 10, 2019


Lately, my daughter and I have been doing our nightly devotionals based on self-improvement, or ones that deal with overcoming fear and anxiety. I have found that many of these have brought insight into my own life. We use different plans found on YouVerson Bible app and read through them every night.  One plan we recently did was The End of Me by Kyle Idleman, one night focused on humbling yourself.  On this particular night, the devotional ended with ways we could humble ourselves.
§  To humble myself, I voluntarily confess my sin.
§  To humble myself, I give sacrificially and anonymously.
§  To humble myself, I treat others better than myself.
§  To humble myself, I ask for help

I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time doing some of these things. I honestly have the most challenging time with the last one, asking for help. I feel like a burden to others when I ask for help. However, as Christians are, we not supposed to help others? I think that most Christians have a hard time willingly, unconditionally, and anonymously helping others. I believe that as Christians or just humans, we all can take a lesson from the Amish communities. Think about how they come together as a community to help each other in time of need. If one family loses their barn to a fire, the community comes together to rebuild the barn. No questions asked, and the family doesn’t even need to ask for the help it is just done. I think about that and wonder what does that say about me as a Christian, should I not at least do the same?

There have been times when I have asked for help, and not one person has helped or even reached out to me. When this happens, I wonder why I should bother asking. So, when the next time I need help arises, I stay silent. I am not perfect about helping others, but I do try to reach out in some way to the person asking, even if it is to just say I am praying for you.

On Sunday mornings during the offering, I often feel very uncomfortable. I feel as if all eyes are on me. I often think they are watching to see if I put money into the plate as it is being passed around.  I know this may or may not be the case, but sometimes the feeling is so overwhelming. Yes, we should tithe and give sacrificially, but we also should do it in secret and not be boastful about our giving. This also applies to other ways to give, our time, our resources, our knowledge. In today’s age of technology, people can give to the offering over the internet, so when the plate is passed, they do not place money into the plate because they have already done so. Still, is it possible that some sit and watch they not put funds in and judge them for it not knowing what has previously happened?

So, I know my thoughts are kind of all over the place here, but I say all of this for one reason.  I am not perfect, and I know that I need improvement. It’s a work in progress. I’m a work in progress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment